Monday, June 23, 2008

my first ever Sprint Triathlon!!

Although the Mack Cycle Trilogy #1 race in Key Biscayne FL was my 30th multisport event it was first ever SPRINT distance triathlon! The race was due to start at a nice and civilized 7:30am so i ambled over to registration around 6:30 and got myself set up in transition. In retrospect I should have arrived much sooner and had a proper bike warm up but as it was, being a "newbie" at the distance i only had time for a 5min spin before it was time to head over to the beach.

Swim - 0.25 miles, 6:22mins
The swim was none wetsuit (Water temp 82F) and being so short i debated whether to wear my Xterra speedskin wondering if it would take more time to take off than the time i might gain from wearing it. I tested it out in the pool last week and was convinced it would be worth it. The pool was a beach start out to the first buoy then a left turn to a straight away parallel to the beach then the exit. My wave was quite large so there was a decent amount of mayhem going into that first run but quite honestly the swim was over so quickly I can't remember anything else!




T1 - 0:54mins

T1 involved a decent beach run, through a nice deep puddle from the storm the night before which served nicely to get rid of any sand from my feet and then into the grassy transition. Pulled off speed suit, Grabbed helmet and was on my way...

The Bike - 10 miles - 25:39mins

Went against all rules of power meter pacing and pretty much just went for it! the course was a simple out and back with a short climb over the flyover bridge once in each direction. Instead of "managing" my work over the bridge ascents I just hammered up in the aero bars both times and perhaps paid for it as my watts dropped slightly from what i thought i should be able to hold in the latter miles.




T2 - 0:45
Not my fastest ever T2 but ok. had to navigate a few large puddles and didn't have an optimal location in transition....was nice to come in and see so few bikes though!

The Run - 3.1 miles - 19:17mins

Went hard from the start with no regards for the heat figuring it was 3.1 miles so I should be able to hang on regardless! First section was 0.5miles out and back so I soon saw (as expected) the phenomenal John Reback (one of US Olympian Laura Bennett's brothers) as race leader and was pleased to see there was not too many folks between us. Unofortunately there was a duathlon going on simultaneously and also other fast age groups starting in waves behind us so it was really no indicator of where i was in the field. I just kept looking for the next guy ahead and aim to reel them in. By the finishing final long straight before the finish I could see a couple more ahead but just didn't have any kick in my legs so just kept up the same hard pace. Felt great crossing the line after a good short sharp "workout" and after spending a few moments to recover and cool down I enjoyed watching and cheering folks coming into the finish.




Finish time - 0:52:57
3rd/89 Male 35-39
17th/771 Overall


Bike Power info:
(this is having removed the coasting in and out of transition and putting on shoes etc..)

TSS: 40 (intensity factor 1.009)
Norm Power: 241
VI: 1.04

Min Max Avg
Power: 0 397 231 watts
Cadence: 61 108 95 rpm
Speed: 11.1 35 24.0 mph
Temperature: 80.6 86 84.3 Fahrenheit

No comments: